Pronunciation: (u-buv'),[key] —adv. 1. in, at, or to a higher place.
2. overhead, upstairs, or in the sky: My brother lives in the apartment above. A flock of birds circled above. 3. higher in rank, authority, or power: She was told to speak to the person above. 4. higher in quantity or number: books with 100 pages and above. 5. before or earlier, esp. in a book or other piece of writing; foregoing: the remark quoted above. Cf. below (def. 6).
6. in or to heaven: gone to her eternal rest above. 7. Zool.on the upper or dorsal side.
8. Theat.upstage. Cf. below (def. 9).
9. higher than zero on the temperature scale: The temperature dropped to ten above this morning.
—prep. 1. in or to a higher place than; over: to fly above the clouds; the floor above ours. 2. more in quantity or number than; in excess of: all girls above 12 years of age; The weight is above a ton. 3. superior in rank, authority, or standing to: A captain is above a lieutenant. 4. not subject or liable to; not capable of (some undesirable action, thought, etc.): above suspicion; to be above bad behavior. 5. of too fine a character for: He is above such trickery. 6. rather than; in preference to: to favor one child above the other. 7. beyond, esp. north of: six miles above Baltimore. 8. Theat.upstage of.
9. above all, most important of all; principally: charity above all.
—adj. said, mentioned, or written above; foregoing: the above explanation.
—n. 1. something that was said, mentioned, or written above: to refer to the above. 2. the person or persons previously indicated: The above will all stand trial. 3. heaven: truly a gift from above. 4. a higher authority: an order from above.