Pronunciation: (u-just'munt),[key] —n. 1. the act of adjusting; adaptation to a particular condition, position, or purpose.
2. the state of being adjusted; orderly relation of parts or elements.
3. a device, as a knob or lever, for adjusting: the adjustments on a television set. 4. the act of bringing something into conformity with external requirements: the adjustment of one's view of reality. 5. harmony achieved by modification or change of a position: They worked out an adjustment of their conflicting ideas. 6. Sociol.a process of modifying, adapting, or altering individual or collective patterns of behavior so as to bring them into conformity with other such patterns, as with those provided by a cultural environment.
7. Insurance.the act of ascertaining the amount of indemnity that the party insured is entitled to receive under the policy, and of settling the claim.
8. a settlement of a disputed account or claim.
9. a change or concession, as in price or other terms, in view of minor defect or the like.