Pronunciation: (ā'jun-sē),[key] —n., —pl.-cies. 1. an organization, company, or bureau that provides some service for another: a welfare agency. 2. a company having a franchise to represent another.
3. a governmental bureau, or an office that represents it.
4. the place of business of an agent.
5. See Indian agency. 6. an administrative division of a government.
7. the duty or function of an agent.
8. the relationship between a principal and his or her agent.
9. the state of being in action or of exerting power; operation: the agency of Providence. 10. a means of exerting power or influence; instrumentality: nominated by the agency of friends.