Pronunciation: (u-līv'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/alive.html on line 75 [key]
1. having life; living; existing; not dead or lifeless.
2. living (used for emphasis): the proudest man alive.
3. in a state of action; in force or operation; active: to keep hope alive.
4. full of energy and spirit; lively: Grandmother's more alive than most of her contemporaries.
5. having the quality of life; vivid; vibrant: The room was alive with color.
6. Elect.live2 (def. 17).
7. alive to, alert or sensitive to; aware of: City planners are alive to the necessity of revitalizing deteriorating neighborhoods.
8. alive with, filled with living things; swarming; teeming: The room was alive with mosquitoes.
9. look alive! pay attention! move quickly!: Look alive! We haven't got all day.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.