Pronunciation: (an'tē),[key] —n., v.,-ted or -teed, -te•ing.
—n. 1. Poker.a fixed but arbitrary stake put into the pot by each player before the deal.
2. an amount of money paid in advance to insure an individual's share in a joint business venture.
3. Informal.an individual's share of the total expenses incurred by a group.
4. Informal.the price or cost of something.
—v.t. 1. Poker.to put (one's initial stake) into the pot.
2. to produce or pay (one's share) (usually fol. by up): He anted up his half of the bill.
—v.i. 1. Poker.to put one's initial stake into the pot.
2. Informal.to pay (usually fol. by up).
a prefix meaning “before,” used in the formation of compound words: anteroom; antebellum; antedate.