Pronunciation: (az; unstresseduz),[key] —adv. 1. to the same degree, amount, or extent; similarly; equally: I don't think it's as hot and humid today as it was yesterday. 2. for example; for instance: Some flowers, as the rose, require special care. 3. thought to be or considered to be: the square as distinct from the rectangle; the church as separate from the state. 4. in the manner (directed, agreed, promised, etc.): She sang as promised. He left as agreed. 5. as well. See well1 (def. 11).
6. as well as. See well1 (def. 12).
—conj. 1. (used correlatively after an adjective or adverb prec. by an adverbial phrase, the adverbial as, or another adverb) to such a degree or extent that: It came out the same way as it did before. You are as good as you think you are. 2. (without antecedent) in the degree, manner, etc., of or that: She's good as gold. Do as we do. 3. at the same time that; while; when: as you look away. 4. since; because: As you are leaving last, please turn out the lights. 5. though: Questionable as it may be, we will proceed. 6. with the result or purpose: He said it in a voice so loud as to make everyone stare. 7. Informal.(in dependent clauses) that: I don't know as I do. 8. Midland and Southern U.S. and Brit. Dial.than.
9. as … as, (used to express similarity or equality in a specified characteristic, condition, etc., as between one person or thing and another): as rich as Croesus. 10. as far as, to the degree or extent that: It is an excellent piece of work, as far as I can tell. 11. as for or to,with respect to; in reference to: As for staying away, I wouldn't think of it. 12. as good as, a. equivalent to; in effect; practically: as good as new. b. true to; trustworthy as: as good as his word. 13. as how,Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S.that; if; whether: He allowed as how it was none of my business. I don't know as how I ought to interfere. 14. as if or though, as it would be if: It was as if the world had come to an end. 15. as is, in whatever condition something happens to be, esp. referring to something offered for sale in a flawed, damaged, or used condition: We bought the table as is. 16. as it were, in a way; so to speak: He became, as it were, a man without a country. 17. as long as. See long1 (def. 39).
18. as of, beginning on; on and after; from: This price is effective as of June 23. 19. as regards, with regard or reference to; concerning: As regards the expense involved, it is of no concern to him. 20. as such, a. as being what is indicated; in that capacity: An officer of the law, as such, is entitled to respect. b. in itself or in themselves: The position, as such, does not appeal to him, but the salary is a lure. 21. as yet, up to the present time; until now: As yet, no one has thought of a solution.
—pron. 1. (used relatively) that; who; which (usually prec. by such or the same): I have the same trouble as you had. 2. a fact that: She did her job well, as can be proved by the records. 3. New England, Midland, and Southern U.S.who; whom; which; that: Them as has gets.
—prep. in the role, function, or status of: to act as leader.
Pronunciation: (as),[key] —n., —pl.as•sesPronunciation: (as'iz).[key] 1. a copper coin and early monetary unit of ancient Rome, originally having a nominal weight of a pound of 12 ounces: discontinued c80 b.c.
2. a unit of weight equal to 12 ounces.
1. American Samoa (approved esp. for use with zip code).