Pronunciation: (u-sō"sē-ā'shun, -shē-),[key] —n. 1. an organization of people with a common purpose and having a formal structure.
2. the act of associating or state of being associated.
3. friendship; companionship: Their close association did not last long. 4. connection or combination.
5. the connection or relation of ideas, feelings, sensations, etc.; correlation of elements of perception, reasoning, or the like.
6. an idea, image, feeling, etc., suggested by or connected with something other than itself; an accompanying thought, emotion, or the like; an overtone or connotation: My associations with that painting are of springlike days. 7. Ecol.a group of plants of one or more species living together under uniform environmental conditions and having a uniform and distinctive aspect.
8. Chem.a weak form of chemical bonding involving aggregation of molecules of the same compound.
9. See touch football. 10. Astron.See stellar association.