Pronunciation: (ô-stēr'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/austere.html on line 75 [key]
1. severe in manner or appearance; uncompromising; strict; forbidding: an austere teacher.
2. rigorously self-disciplined and severely moral; ascetic; abstinent: the austere quality of life in the convent.
3. grave; sober; solemn; serious: an austere manner.
4. without excess, luxury, or ease; simple; limited; severe: an austere life.
5. severely simple; without ornament: austere writing.
6. lacking softness; hard: an austere bed of straw.
7. rough to the taste; sour or harsh in flavor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.