Pronunciation: (bē),[key] —n., —pl.B's or Bs, b's or bs. 1. the second letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter B or b, as in bid, bauble, or daubed. 3. something having the shape of a B. 4. a written or printed representation of the letter B or b. 5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter B or b.
—Symbol. 1. the second in order or in a series.
2. (sometimes l.c.) (in some grading systems) a grade or mark, as in school or college, indicating the quality of a student's work as good or better than average.
3. (sometimes l.c.) (in some school systems) a symbol designating the second semester of a school year.
4. Physiol.a major blood group usually enabling a person whose blood is of this type to donate blood to persons of type B or AB and to receive blood from persons of type O or B. Cf. ABO system. 5. Music. a. the seventh tone in the scale of C major or the second tone in the relative minor scale, A minor.
b. a string, key, or pipe tuned to this tone.
c. a written or printed note representing this tone.
d. (in the fixed system of solmization) the seventh tone of the scale of C major, called ti. e. the tonality having B as the tonic note.
6. (sometimes l.c.) the medieval Roman numeral for 300.
8. a proportional shoe width size, narrower than C and wider than A.
9. a proportional brassiere cup size, smaller than C and larger than A.
10. Physics.See magnetic induction. 11. Elect.susceptance.
12. a designation for a motion picture made on a low budget and meant as the secondary part of a double feature.
13. a quality rating for a corporate or municipal bond, lower than BB and higher than CCC.
1. Physics. a. bar; bars.
b. barn; barns.