—v.i. 1. to utter sounds or words imperfectly, indistinctly, or without meaning.
2. to talk idly, irrationally, excessively, or foolishly; chatter or prattle.
3. to make a continuous, murmuring sound.
—v.t. 1. to utter in an incoherent, foolish, or meaningless fashion.
2. to reveal foolishly or thoughtlessly: to babble a secret.
—n. 1. inarticulate or imperfect speech.
2. foolish, meaningless, or incoherent speech; prattle.
3. a murmuring sound or a confusion of sounds.
4. babbling (def. 2).
5. Telecommunications.a confused mixture of extraneous sounds in a circuit, resulting from cross talk from other channels. Cf. cross talk (def. 1).