Pronunciation: (ban'ur),[key] —n. 1. the flag of a country, army, troop, etc.
2. an ensign or the like bearing some device, motto, or slogan, as one carried in religious processions, political demonstrations, etc.
3. a flag formerly used as the standard of a sovereign, lord, or knight.
4. a sign painted on cloth and hung over a street, entrance, etc.: Banners at the intersection announced the tennis tournament. 5. anything regarded or displayed as a symbol of principles.
6. Heraldry.a square flag bearing heraldic devices.
7. Also called ban'ner line", line, screamer, streamer.Journalism.a headline extending across the width of a newspaper page, usually across the top of the front page.
8. an open streamer with lettering, towed behind an airplane in flight, for advertising purposes.
—adj. leading or foremost: a banner year for crops.