Pronunciation: (bēn),[key] —n. 1. the edible nutritious seed of various plants of the legume family, esp. of the genus Phaseolus. 2. a plant producing such seeds.
3. the pod of such a plant, esp. when immature and eaten as a vegetable.
4. any of various other beanlike seeds or plants, as the coffee bean.
5. Slang. a. a person's head.
b. a coin or a bank note considered as a coin: I can't pay for the ticket, I don't have a bean in my jeans. 6. Brit. Informal.a minimum amount of money: They've been disinherited and now haven't a bean. 7. beans,Informal.the slightest amount: He doesn't know beans about navigation. 8. full of beans,Informal. a. energetic; vigorously active; vital: He is still full of beans at 95. b. stupid; erroneous; misinformed.
9. spill the beans,Informal.to disclose a secret, either accidentally or imprudently, thereby ruining a surprise or plan: He spilled the beans, and she knew all about the party in advance.
—v.t. Slang.to hit on the head, esp. with a baseball.
—interj. beans,(used to express disbelief, annoyance, etc.).
Pronunciation: (bēn),[key] —n. 1. Alan L(aVern), born 1932, U.S. astronaut.
2. Roy(“Judge”), 1825?–1903, U.S. frontiersman and justice of the peace: called himself “the law west of the Pecos.”