Pronunciation: (bâr'ur),[key] —n. 1. a person or thing that carries, upholds, or brings: dozens of bearers on the safari. 2. the person who presents an order for money or goods: Pay to the bearer. 3. a tree or plant that yields fruit or flowers.
4. the holder of rank or office; incumbent.
6. (esp. in India) a native boy or man employed as a personal or household servant.
7. Print. a. furniture (def. 4).
b. one of several strips of metal fitted at the sides of a plate for support during inking and proving.
8. a joistlike member supporting the floorboards of a scaffold.
9. Furniture.See bearing rail.