Pronunciation: (bâr'ing),[key] —n. 1. the manner in which one conducts or carries oneself, including posture and gestures: a man of dignified bearing. 2. the act, capability, or period of producing or bringing forth: a tree past bearing. 3. something that is produced; a crop.
4. the act of enduring or capacity to endure.
5. reference or relation (usually fol. by on): It has some bearing on the problem. 6. Archit. a. a supporting part of a structure.
b. the area of contact between a bearing member, as a beam, and a pier, wall, or other underlying support.
7. Mach.the support and guide for a rotating, oscillating, or sliding shaft, pivot, or wheel.
8. Often, bearings. direction or relative position: The pilot radioed his bearings. 9. Survey.a horizontal direction expressed in degrees east or west of a true or magnetic north or south direction.
10. Heraldry.any single device on an escutcheon; charge.