Pronunciation: (brOO),[key] —v.t. 1. to make (beer, ale, etc.) by steeping, boiling, and fermenting malt and hops.
2. to make or prepare (a beverage, as tea) by mixing, steeping, soaking, or boiling a solid in water.
3. to concoct, mix, or cook (a beverage or food, esp. one containing unmeasured or unusual ingredients): She brewed a pot of soup from the leftovers. 4. to contrive, plan, or bring about: to brew mischief.
—v.i. 1. to make a fermented alcoholic malt beverage, as beer or ale.
2. to boil, steep, soak, or cook: Wait until the tea brews. 3. be brewing, to be forming or gathering; be in preparation: Trouble was brewing.
—n. 1. a quantity brewed in a single process.
2. a particular brewing or variety of malt liquor.
3. a hot beverage made by cooking a solid in water, esp. tea or coffee.
4. any concoction, esp. a liquid produced by a mixture of unusual ingredients: a witches' brew. 5. Informal. a. beer or ale.
b. an individual serving of beer or ale: Let's have a few brews after the game.