Pronunciation: (brOOt),[key] —n. 1. a nonhuman creature; beast.
2. a brutal, insensitive, or crude person.
3. the animal qualities, desires, etc., of humankind: Father felt that rough games brought out the brute in us.
—adj. 1. animal; not human.
2. not characterized by intelligence or reason; irrational.
3. characteristic of animals; of brutal character or quality.
4. savage; cruel: brute force. 5. carnal; sensual.
Pronunciation: (brOOt),[key] —v.t.,brut•ed, brut•ing. to shape (a diamond) by rubbing with another diamond or a diamond chip.