—n. 1. a blow, as with the hand or fist.
2. a violent shock or concussion.
—v.t. 1. to strike, as with the hand or fist.
2. to strike against or push repeatedly: The wind buffeted the house. 3. to contend against; battle.
—v.i. 1. to struggle with blows of hand or fist.
2. to force one's way by a fight, struggle, etc.
Pronunciation: (bu-fā', boo- or, esp. for adj., bOO'fā; Brit.buf'it),[key] —n. 1. a sideboard or cabinet for holding china, table linen, etc.
2. a meal laid out on a table or sideboard so that guests may serve themselves.
3. a counter, bar, or the like, for lunch or refreshments.
4. a restaurant containing such a counter or bar.
—adj. consisting of food, refreshments, etc., laid out on tables or buffets from which guests or customers serve themselves: a buffet supper; buffet service.