—n. 1. one of an English breed of medium-sized, short-haired, muscular dogs with prominent, undershot jaws, usually having a white and tan or brindled coat, raised originally for bullbaiting.
2. Informal.a stubbornly persistent person.
3. a short-barreled revolver of large caliber.
4. Metall.slag from a puddling furnace.
5. an assistant to the proctor at Oxford and Cambridge universities.
—adj. like or characteristic of a bulldog or of a bulldog's jaws: bulldog obstinacy.
—v.t. 1. to attack in the manner of a bulldog.
2. Western U.S.to throw (a calf, steer, etc.) to the ground by seizing the horns and twisting the head.