—n. 1. a boxlike enclosure having wires, bars, or the like, for confining and displaying birds or animals.
2. anything that confines or imprisons; prison.
3. something resembling a cage in structure, as for a cashier or bank teller.
4. the car or enclosed platform of an elevator.
5. Mining.an enclosed platform for raising and lowering people and cars in a mine shaft.
6. any skeleton framework.
7. Baseball.a movable backstop for use mainly in batting practice.
8. a frame with a net attached to it, forming the goal in ice hockey and field hockey.
9. Basketball Older Use.the basket.
10. a loose, sheer or lacy overdress worn with a slip or a close-fitting dress.
11. Ordn.a steel framework for supporting guns.
12. Mach.retainer1 (def. 3).
—v.t. 1. to put or confine in or as if in a cage.
2. Sports.to shoot (as a puck) into a cage so as to score a goal.
Pronunciation: (kāj),[key] —n. John, born 1912, U.S. composer.