—n. 1. a boxlike device for holding a film or plate sensitive to light, having an aperture controlled by a shutter that, when opened, admits light enabling an object to be focused, usually by means of a lens, on the film or plate, thereby producing a photographic image.
2. (in a television transmitting apparatus) the device in which the picture to be televised is formed before it is changed into electric impulses.
3. a judge's private office.
4. in camera, a. Law.in the privacy of a judge's chambers.
5. off camera, out of the range of a television or motion-picture camera.
6. on camera, being filmed or televised by a live camera: Be sure to look alert when you are on camera.