—n. 1. any of a variety of confections made with sugar, syrup, etc., often combined with chocolate, fruit, nuts, etc.
2. a single piece of such a confection.
—v.t. 1. to cook in sugar or syrup, as sweet potatoes or carrots.
2. to cook in heavy syrup until transparent, as fruit, fruit peel, or ginger.
3. to reduce (sugar, syrup, etc.) to a crystalline form, usually by boiling down.
4. to coat with sugar: to candy dates. 5. to make sweet, palatable, or agreeable.
—v.i. 1. to become covered with sugar.
2. to crystallize into sugar.
Pronunciation: (kan'dē),[key] —n. a female given name.