—n. 1. a covering, usually of fabric, supported on poles or suspended above a bed, throne, exalted personage, or sacred object.
2. an overhanging projection or covering, as a long canvas awning stretching from the doorway of a building to a curb.
3. an ornamental, rooflike projection or covering.
4. Also called crown canopy, crown cover. the cover formed by the leafy upper branches of the trees in a forest.
5. the sky.
6. the part of a parachute that opens up and fills with air, usually made of nylon or silk.
7. the transparent cover over the cockpit of an airplane.
—v.t. to cover with or as with a canopy: Branches canopied the road.