Pronunciation: (kan'tn, -ton, kan-ton' for 1–7; kan-ton', -tōn' or, esp. Brit.,-tOOn' for 8), [key]
1. a small territorial district, esp. one of the states of the Swiss confederation.
2. (in a department of France) a division of an arrondissement.
3. Heraldry.a square area in the dexter chief, or right-hand corner, of an escutcheon, often distinctively treated: a diminutive of the dexter chief quarter.
4. Archit.a pilaster or similar feature projecting from the corner of a building.
5. Obs.a division, part, or portion of anything.
1. to divide into parts or portions.
2. to divide into cantons or territorial districts.
3. to allot quarters to (soldiers, troops, etc.).
Pronunciation: (kan-ton', kan'ton for 1; kan'tn for 2–5), [key]
1. Also called Kwangchow, Guangzhou, Kuangchou. Older Spelling.a seaport in and the capital of Guangdong province, in SE China, on the Zhu Jiang. 3,000,000.
2. a city in NE Ohio: location of the football Hall of Fame. 94,730.
3. a city in E Massachusetts. 18,182.
4. a city in W central Illinois. 14,626.
5. a town in central Mississippi. 11,116.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.