Pronunciation: (kan'vus),[key] —n. 1. a closely woven, heavy cloth of cotton, hemp, or linen, used for tents, sails, etc.
2. a piece of this or similar material on which a painting is made.
3. a painting on canvas.
4. a tent, or tents collectively.
6. sails collectively.
7. any fabric of linen, cotton, or hemp of a coarse loose weave used as a foundation for embroidery stitches, interlining, etc.
8. the floor of a boxing ring traditionally consisting of a canvas covering stretched over a mat.
9. under canvas, a. Naut.with set sails.
b. in tents; in the field: the troops under canvas.