—n. 1. Pharm.a gelatinous case enclosing a dose of medicine.
2. Biol. a. a membranous sac or integument.
b. either of two strata of white matter in the cerebrum.
c. the sporangium of various spore-producing organisms, as ferns, mosses, algae, and fungi.
3. Bot.a dry dehiscent fruit, composed of two or more carpels.
4. a small case, envelope, or covering.
5. Also called space capsule.Aerospace.a sealed cabin, container, or vehicle in which a person or animal can ride in flight in space or at very high altitudes within the earth's atmosphere.
6. Aviation.a similar cabin in a military aircraft, which can be ejected from the aircraft in an emergency.
7. a thin metal covering for the mouth of a corked bottle.
8. a concise report; brief outline: An appendix to the book contains biographical capsules of the contributors.
—v.t. 1. to furnish with or enclose in or as if in a capsule; encapsulate.
2. to capsulize.
—adj. 1. small and compact.
2. short and concise; brief and summarized: a capsule report.