Pronunciation: (kär'pit),[key] —n. 1. a heavy fabric, commonly of wool or nylon, for covering floors.
2. a covering of this material.
3. any relatively soft surface or covering like a carpet: They walked on the carpet of grass. 4. on the carpet, a. before an authority or superior for an accounting of one's actions or a reprimand: He was called on the carpet again for his carelessness. b. Chiefly Brit.under consideration or discussion.
5. any of a number of airborne electronic devices for jamming radar.
6. a system of such devices.
—v.t. 1. to cover or furnish with or as with a carpet.
2. Chiefly Brit.to reprimand.