Pronunciation: (kärt),[key] —n. 1. a heavy two-wheeled vehicle, commonly without springs, drawn by mules, oxen, or the like, used for the conveyance of heavy goods.
2. a light two-wheeled vehicle with springs, drawn by a horse or pony.
3. any small vehicle pushed or pulled by hand.
4. Obs.a chariot.
5. on the water cart,Brit.See wagon (def. 12).
6. put the cart before the horse, to do or place things in improper order; be illogical.
—v.t. to haul or convey in or as if in a cart or truck: to cart garbage to the dump.
—v.i. 1. to drive a cart.
2. cart off or away, to transport or take away in an unceremonious manner: The police came and carted him off to jail.