Pronunciation: (sham-pān'),[key] —n. 1. (cap.) the sparkling, dry, white table wine from the region of Champagne in France.
2. a similar sparkling wine produced elsewhere.
3. (formerly) the nonsparkling, dry, white table wine produced in the region of Champagne in France.
4. a very pale yellow or greenish-yellow color.
5. anything considered the best or luxurious.
—adj. 1. having the color of champagne.
2. luxurious or expensive: champagne tastes.
Pronunciation: (sham-pān'; Fr. shän-pan'yu),[key] —n. a region and former province in NE France.