Pronunciation: (sin'u-mun),[key] —n. 1. the aromatic inner bark of any of several East Indian trees belonging to the genus Cinnamonum, of the laurel family, esp. the bark of C. zeylanicum(Ceylon cinnamon), used as a spice, or that of C. loureirii(Saigon cinnamon), used in medicine as a cordial and carminative.
2. a tree yielding such bark.
3. any allied or similar tree.
4. a common culinary spice of dried rolled strips of this bark, often made into a powder.
5. cassia (def. 1).
6. a yellowish or reddish brown.
—adj. 1. (of food) containing or flavored with cinnamon.
2. reddish-brown or yellowish-brown.