Pronunciation: (sī-tā'shun),[key] —n. 1. Mil.mention of a soldier or a unit in orders, usually for gallantry: Presidential citation. 2. any award or commendation, as for outstanding service, hard work, or devotion to duty, esp. a formal letter or statement recounting a person's achievements.
3. a summons, esp. to appear in court.
4. a document containing such a summons.
5. the act of citing or quoting a reference to an authority or a precedent.
6. a passage cited; quotation.
7. a quotation showing a particular word or phrase in context.
8. mention or enumeration.