Pronunciation: (kok'tāl"),[key] —n. 1. any of various short mixed drinks, consisting typically of gin, whiskey, rum, vodka, or brandy, with different admixtures, as vermouth, fruit juices, or flavorings, usually chilled and frequently sweetened.
2. a portion of food, as seafood served with a sauce, a mixture of fruits, or juice, served as the appetizer course of a meal.
3. Pharm.a beverage or solution concocted of various drugs.
4. any eclectic mixture or miscellaneous collection.
—v.i. to drink cocktails, esp. at a cocktail party: They cocktailed before going to the theater.
—adj. 1. (of women's clothing) styled for semiformal wear: a cocktail dress. 2. of, pertaining to, used in, or suitable to the serving of cocktails: cocktail onions; cocktail napkins.
Pronunciation: (kok'tāl"),[key] —n. 1. a horse with a docked tail.
2. a horse that is not a thoroughbred.
3. a man of little breeding who passes for a gentleman.