Pronunciation: (kol'ur),[key] —n. 1. the part of a shirt, coat, dress, blouse, etc., that encompasses the neckline of the garment and is sewn permanently to it, often so as to fold or roll over.
2. a similar but separate, detachable article of clothing worn around the neck or at the neckline of a garment. Cf. clerical collar. 3. anything worn or placed around the neck.
4. a leather or metal band or a chain, fastened around the neck of an animal, used esp. as a means of restraint or identification.
5. the part of the harness that fits across the withers and over the shoulders of a draft animal, designed to distribute the pressure of the load drawn. See diag. under harness. 6. an ornamental necklace worn as insignia of an order of knighthood.
7. a narrow strip of leather or other material stitched around the top of a shoe as reinforcement or trimming.
8. Zool.any of various collarlike markings or structures around the neck; torque.
9. Metall. a. a raised area of metal for reinforcing a weld.
b. a raised rim at the end of a roll in a rolling mill to check lateral expansion of the metal being rolled.
10. Mach.a short ring formed on or fastened over a rod or shaft as a locating or holding part.
11. (in iron or steel construction) a rigid frame for maintaining the form of an opening.
12. the upper rim of a borehole, shot hole, or mine shaft.
13. Also called bracelet. a narrow horizontal molding encircling the top or bottom of a furniture leg.
15. Informal. a. an arrest; capture.
b. a person placed under arrest.
16. hot under the collar,Informal.angry; excited; upset.
—v.t. 1. to put a collar on; furnish with a collar: They finally succeeded in collaring the unwilling dog. 2. to seize by the collar or neck: We collared the little fellow and brought him, struggling all the while, into the house. 3. to detain (someone anxious to leave) in conversation: The reporters collared the witness for an hour. 4. to lay hold of, seize, or take.
5. Informal.to place under arrest.
6. to roll up and bind (meat, fish, etc.) for cooking.
—v.i. Metalworking.(of a piece being rolled) to wrap itself around a roller.