Pronunciation: (ku-lum'bē-u),[key] —n. 1. a river in SW Canada and the NW United States, flowing S and W from SE British Columbia through Washington along the boundary between Washington and Oregon and into the Pacific. 1214 mi. (1955 km) long.
2. a city in and the capital of South Carolina, in the central part. 99,296.
3. a city in central Missouri. 62,061.
4. a city in central Maryland. 52,518.
5. a city in central Tennessee. 25,767.
6. a city in SE Pennsylvania. 10,466.
7. Literary.the United States of America.
8. one of an American breed of large sheep, developed by crossbreeding the Lincoln and Rambouillet, noted for its good market lambs and heavy fleece of medium length.
9. (italics) U.S. Aerospace.the first space shuttle to orbit and return to earth.