Pronunciation: (ku-mûr'shul),[key] —adj. 1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of commerce.
2. engaged in commerce.
3. prepared, done, or acting with sole or chief emphasis on salability, profit, or success: a commercial product; His attitude toward the theater is very commercial. 4. able to yield or make a profit: We decided that the small oil well was not commercial. 5. suitable or fit for a wide, popular market: Communications satellites are gradually finding a commercial use. 6. suitable for or catering to business rather than private use: commercial kitchen design; commercial refrigeration. 7. (of a vehicle or its use)
a. engaged in transporting passengers or goods for profit.
b. civilian and public, as distinguished from military or private.
8. not entirely or chemically pure: commercial soda. 9. catering esp. to traveling salespeople by offering reduced rates, space for exhibiting products, etc.: a commercial hotel. 10. (in U.S. government grading of beef) graded between standard and utility.
11. paid for by advertisers: commercial television.
—n. 1. Radio and Television.a paid advertisement or promotional announcement.
2. (in U.S. government grading of beef)
a. a low-quality grade of beef between standard and utility.
b. a cut of beef of this grade.
3. Brit. Informal.a traveling salesperson.