Pronunciation: (ku-mit'munt),[key] —n. 1. the act of committing.
2. the state of being committed.
3. the act of committing, pledging, or engaging oneself.
4. a pledge or promise; obligation: We have made a commitment to pay our bills on time. 5. engagement; involvement: They have a sincere commitment to religion. 6. perpetration or commission, as of a crime.
7. consignment, as to prison.
8. confinement to a mental institution or hospital: The psychiatrist recommended commitment. 9. an order, as by a court or judge, confining a person to a mental institution or hospital.
10. Law.a written order of a court directing that someone be confined in prison; mittimus.
11. Parl. Proc.the act of referring or entrusting to a committee for consideration.
12. Stock Exchange. a. an agreement to buy or sell securities.
b. a sale or purchase of securities. Also,committal(for defs. 1, 3–11).