Pronunciation: (kom"pu-zish'un),[key] —n. 1. the act of combining parts or elements to form a whole.
2. the resulting state or product.
3. manner of being composed; structure: This painting has an orderly composition. 4. makeup; constitution: His moral composition was impeccable. 5. an aggregate material formed from two or more substances: a composition of silver and tin. 6. a short essay written as a school exercise.
7. the act or process of producing a literary work.
8. an academic course for teaching the techniques of clear, expository writing.
9. the art of putting words and sentences together in accordance with the rules of grammar and rhetoric.
10. a piece of music.
11. the art of composing music.
12. Fine Arts.the organization or grouping of the different parts of a work of art so as to achieve a unified whole.
13. Gram.the formation of compounds or derivatives: the composition of “aircraft” from “air” and “craft.” 14. a settlement by mutual agreement.
15. an agreement or compromise, esp. one by which a creditor or group of creditors accepts partial payment from a debtor.
16. a sum of money so paid.
17. Print. a. the setting up of type for printing.
b. Also called pagination. the makeup of pages for printing.
18. Math.the process of making a composite function of two given functions.