Pronunciation: (kun-fes'),[key] —v.t. 1. to acknowledge or avow (a fault, crime, misdeed, weakness, etc.) by way of revelation.
2. to own or admit as true: I must confess that I haven't read the book. 3. to declare or acknowledge (one's sins), esp. to God or a priest in order to obtain absolution.
4. (of a priest) to hear the confession of (a person).
5. to acknowledge one's belief or faith in; declare adherence to.
6. to reveal by circumstances.
—v.i. 1. to make confession; plead guilty; own: to confess to a crime. 2. to make confession of sins, esp. to a priest.
3. (of a priest) to hear confession.