Pronunciation: (kun-ven'shun),[key] —n. 1. a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern.
2. U.S. Politics.a representative party assembly to nominate candidates and adopt platforms and party rules.
3. an agreement, compact, or contract.
4. an international agreement, esp. one dealing with a specific matter, as postal service or copyright.
5. a rule, method, or practice established by usage; custom: the convention of showing north at the top of a map. 6. general agreement or consent; accepted usage, esp. as a standard of procedure.
8. Bridge.any of a variety of established systems or methods of bidding or playing that allows partners to convey certain information about their hands.