Pronunciation: (kop'ur),[key] —n. 1. a malleable, ductile, metallic element having a characteristic reddish-brown color: used in large quantities as an electrical conductor and in the manufacture of alloys, as brass and bronze. Symbol: Cu; at. wt.: 63.54; at. no.: 29; sp. gr.: 8.92 at 20°C.
2. a metallic reddish brown.
3. a coin composed of copper, bronze, or the like, as the U.S. cent or the British penny.
4. any of several butterflies of the family Lycaenidae, as Lycaena hypophleas(American copper), having copper-colored wings spotted and edged with black.
5. a container made of copper.
6. a tool partly or wholly made of copper: a soldering copper. 7. Brit.a large kettle, now usually made of iron, used for cooking or to boil laundry.
—adj. 1. made of copper: copper kettles. 2. reddish-brown; coppery: The copper sun sank into the sea.
—v.t. 1. to cover, coat, or sheathe with copper.
2. Informal.hedge (def. 6).
Pronunciation: (kop'ur),[key] —n.Slang. a police officer.