—v.ko-stOOm', -styOOm'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/costume.html on line 83 [key]
—n., v., -tumed, -tum•ing,
1. a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, esp. that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.
2. dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person, etc., as worn on the stage or at balls.
3. fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season: dancing costume; winter costume.
4. a set of garments, esp. women's garments, selected for wear at a single time; outfit; ensemble.
to dress; furnish with a costume; provide appropriate dress for: to costume a play.
1. of or characterized by the wearing of costumes: a costume party.
2. meant for use with or appropriate to a specific costume: costume accessories.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.