Pronunciation: (koul),[key] —n. 1. a hooded garment worn by monks.
2. the hood of this garment.
3. part of a garment that is draped to resemble a cowl or hood.
4. the forward part of the body of a motor vehicle supporting the rear of the hood and the windshield and housing the pedals and instrument panel.
5. a cowling.
6. a hoodlike covering for increasing the draft of a chimney or ventilator.
7. a wire netting fastened to the top of the smokestack of a locomotive to prevent large sparks from being discharged; a spark arrester.
—v.t. 1. to cover with or as if with a cowl.
2. to put a monk's cowl on.
3. to make a monk of.
Pronunciation: (koul),[key] —n. Jane, 1884–1950, U.S. actress and playwright.