—adj. 1. made or used for cutting crosswise.
2. cut across the grain or on the bias.
—n. 1. a transverse cut or course.
2. a shortcut by way of an area not ordinarily traversed, as grass or open country; a route that cuts diagonally across a road or path network.
3. Mining.an underground passageway, usually from a shaft to a vein of ore or crosswise of a vein of ore.
4. Motion Pictures,Television.an act or instance of crosscutting.
5. a crosscut saw.
—v.t. 1. to cut or go across.
2. Motion Pictures,Television.to insert into a scene or sequence (portions of another scene), as to heighten suspense or suggest simultaneous action.
—v.i. Motion Pictures,Television.to employ the technique of crosscutting.