Pronunciation: (krôs'ō"vur, kros'-),[key] —n. 1. a bridge or other structure for crossing over a river, highway, etc.
2. Genetics. a. See crossing over. b. a genotype resulting from crossing over.
3. Popular Music. a. the act of crossing over in style, usually with the intention of broadening the commercial appeal to a wider audience.
b. music that crosses over in style, occasionally sharing attributes with several musical styles and therefore often appealing to a broader audience.
4. Also called cross'over vot"er.U.S. Politics.a member of one political party who votes for the candidate of another party in a primary.
5. See crossover network. 6. Railroads.a track structure composed of two or more turnouts, permitting movement of cars from either of two parallel and adjacent tracks to the other.
7. Dance. a. a step in which dancers exchange places.
b. a step involving partners in which the woman moves from one side of her partner to the other, crossing in front of him.
8. Bowling.a ball that strikes the side of the head pin opposite to the bowling hand of the bowler.
9. (in plumbing) a U-shaped pipe for bypassing another pipe.