Pronunciation: (kris'tl),[key] —n., adj., v.,-taled, -tal•ing or (esp. Brit.)-talled, -tal•ling.
—n. 1. a clear, transparent mineral or glass resembling ice.
2. the transparent form of crystallized quartz.
3. Chem.,Mineral.a solid body having a characteristic internal structure and enclosed by symmetrically arranged plane surfaces, intersecting at definite and characteristic angles.
4. anything made of or resembling such a substance.
5. a single grain or mass of a crystalline substance.
6. glass of fine quality and a high degree of brilliance.
7. articles, esp. glassware for the table and ornamental objects, made of such a glass.
8. the glass or plastic cover over the face of a watch.
9. Radio. a. the piece of germanium, silicon, galena, or the like forming the essential part of a crystal detector.
b. the crystal detector itself.
10. Electronics.a quartz crystal ground in the shape of a rectangular parallelepiped, which vibrates strongly at one frequency when electric voltages of that frequency are placed across opposite sides: used to control the frequency of an oscillator (crystal oscillator), as of a radio transmitter.
11. Slang.any stimulant drug in powder form, as methamphetamine or PCP.
—adj. 1. composed of crystal.
2. resembling crystal; clear; transparent.
3. Radio.pertaining to or employing a crystal detector.
4. indicating the fifteenth event of a series, as a wedding anniversary. See table under wedding anniversary.
—v.t. 1. to make into crystal; crystallize.
2. to cover or coat with, or as if with, crystal (usually fol. by over).
Pronunciation: (kris'tl),[key] —n. 1. a city in SE Minnesota, near Minneapolis. 25,543.
2. a female given name.