Pronunciation: (kul'tu-vāt"),[key] —v.t.,-vat•ed, -vat•ing. 1. to prepare and work on (land) in order to raise crops; till.
2. to use a cultivator on.
3. to promote or improve the growth of (a plant, crop, etc.) by labor and attention.
4. to produce by culture: to cultivate a strain of bacteria. 5. to develop or improve by education or training; train; refine: to cultivate a singing voice. 6. to promote the growth or development of (an art, science, etc.); foster.
7. to devote oneself to (an art, science, etc.).
8. to seek to promote or foster (friendship, love, etc.).
9. to seek the acquaintance or friendship of (a person).