Pronunciation: (kûr'tis),[key] —n. 1. Benjamin Robbins, 1809–74, U.S. jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1851–57; resigned in dissent over Dred Scott case.
2. Charles, 1860–1936, vice president of the U.S. 1929–33.
3. Cyrus Her•mann Kotzsch•mar Pronunciation: (hûr'mun koch'mär),[key] 1850–1933, U.S. publisher.
4. George Tick•nor Pronunciation: (tik'nur),[key] 1812–94, U.S. attorney and writer.
5. George William, 1824–92, U.S. essayist, editor, and reformer.
6. a male given name: from an Old French word meaning “courteous.”