Pronunciation: (dē),[key] —n., —pl.D's or Ds, d's or ds. 1. the fourth letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter D or d, as in dog, ladder, ladle, or pulled. 3. something having the shape of a D. 4. a written or printed representation of the letter D or d. 5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter D or d.
—Symbol,Biochem.(of a molecule) having a configuration resembling the dextrorotatory isomer of glyceraldehyde: always printed as a small capital, roman character (distinguished from l-). Cf. d-.
—Symbol,Chem.,Biochem. dextrorotatory; dextro- (distinguished from l-). Cf. D-.
—prep. 1. de (used in French names as an elided form of de): Charles Louis d'Albert. 2. di (used in Italian names as an elided form of di): Gabriele d'Annunzio.
Pron. Spelling.contraction of do or did before you:How d'you like your eggs cooked? D'you go to the movies last night?
1. contraction of had: I was glad they'd gone. 2. contraction of did: Where'd they go? 3. contraction of should or would: He'd like to go. I'd like to remind you of your promise. 4. contraction of -ed: She OK'd the plan.
—Symbol. 1. the fourth in order or in a series.
2. (sometimes l.c.) (in some grading systems) a grade or mark, as in school or college, indicating the quality of a student's work as poor or barely passing.
3. (sometimes l.c.) a classification, rating, or the like, indicating poor quality.
4. Music. a. the second tone in the scale of C major, or the fourth tone in the relative minor scale, A minor.
b. a string, key, or pipe tuned to this tone.
c. a written or printed note representing this tone.
d. (in the fixed system of solmization) the second tone of the scale of C major, called re. e. the tonality having D as the tonic note.
5. (sometimes l.c.) the Roman numeral for 500. Cf. Roman numerals. 6. Chem.deuterium.
7. Elect. a. electric displacement.
b. a battery size for 1.5 volt dry cells: diameter, 1.3 in. (3.3 cm); length, 2.4 in. (6 cm).
8. Biochem.aspartic acid.
9. a symbol for a shoe width size narrower than E and wider than C.
10. a proportional brassiere cup size larger than C.