Pronunciation: (def'u-sit; Brit. also di-fis'it), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/deficit.html on line 75 [key]
1. the amount by which a sum of money falls short of the required amount.
2. the amount by which expenditures or liabilities exceed income or assets.
3. a lack or shortage; deficiency.
4. a disadvantage, impairment, or handicap: The team's major deficit is its poor pitching.
5. a loss, as in the operation of a business.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.