Pronunciation: (del'u-wâr"),[key] —n., —pl.-wares,(esp. collectively)-warefor 5. 1. Baron. See De La Warr, 12th Baron. 2. a state in the eastern United States, on the Atlantic coast. 595,225; 2057 sq. mi. (5330 sq. km). Cap.: Dover. Abbr.: DE (for use with zip code), Del.
3. a city in central Ohio. 18,780.
4. a river flowing S from SE New York, along the boundary between Pennsylvania and New Jersey into Delaware Bay. 296 mi. (475 km) long.
5. a member of a grouping of North American Indian peoples, comprising the Munsee, Unami, and Unalachtigo, formerly occupying the drainage basin of the Delaware River, the lower Hudson River valley, and the intervening area.
6. the Eastern Algonquian language of any of the Delaware peoples.
7. Hort. a. a red vinifera grape grown for table use that yields a white wine.
b. the vine bearing this fruit.