Pronunciation: ( —n.di-tāl', dē'tāl; —v.di-tāl'),[key] —n. 1. an individual or minute part; an item or particular.
2. particulars collectively; minutiae.
3. attention to or treatment of a subject in individual or minute parts: to postpone detail and concentrate on a subject as a whole. 4. intricate, finely wrought decoration.
5. Engin.See detail drawing. 6. any small section of a larger structure or whole, considered as a unit.
7. Mil. a. an appointment or assignment, as of a small group or an officer, for a special task.
b. the party or person so selected: the kitchen detail. c. a particular assignment of duty.
8. the property of an image or of a method of image production to make small, closely spaced image elements individually distinguishable.
9. in detail, item by item; with particulars: The résumé stated his qualifications in detail.
—v.t. 1. to relate or report with complete particulars; tell fully and distinctly.
2. to mention one by one; specify; list: He detailed the events leading up to the robbery. 3. Mil.to appoint or assign for some particular duty: We were detailed to patrol the border. 4. to provide with intricate, finely wrought decoration: lingerie detailed with lace and embroidery.